My Stroke: Part Two

I did not have to wait long. My dad and two younger brothers arrived first. I can’t remember what they said, I am sure there were questions. I asked my dad to get the jeans I had taken off minutes, maybe hours, before–I am not sure how long I was battling my brain–I could have checked my phone to see what time I had spoken to my mother, since we had talked right before, and figured out the time passed but I didn’t.

I had not moved from my position on the floor. I remember rocking my chair back and forth as I waited. It was soothing to focus on the simplicity of its movement. I had my dad put my jeans on me but did not bother with buttoning them. I bent my legs and lay on my back with an ankle on a knee–that was soothing as well. I felt normal again.

The volunteer fire department arrived before the EMTs. My two older brothers, the firefighter and the east-coaster, had been residents for the volunteer department, so I knew, or at least recognized, most of the men huddled over me. They checked my vitals–blood pressure cuff went on, pulse oximeter was placed on a finger, electrodes were stuck to my chest for an EKG, temperature was taken, lights were shone in my eyes, I followed fingers, questions were asked (my speech had returned to me). They could not find anything wrong with me. What made me most uncomfortable was how serious everyone was. I tried making a joke but nobody laughed. I wanted someone to at least smile.

The EMTs and my mother showed up soon after the volunteer had finished checking my vitals and the EMT checked me again. He could not find anything wrong either. Something serious had happened, though; I had the rug burns on my arms and knees along with my mother who heard my slurred speech to prove it. They gave me three options- go to my parents home and have them monitor me the rest of the night, have my parents drive me to the ER for further testing, or have the ambulance take me to the ER for further testing. My parents decided for me, they wanted the ambulance to take me. I was asked if I could walk to the porch before being put on the stretcher and I said I might be able to with help. The EMT and a volunteer supported me on either side and we made our way outside where they set me on the gurney.

The process of being pushed to and placed in the ambulance was bumpy but I was okay. “Do you know my brother?”, I asked the EMT as he was trying to start an IV. He did and he joked about how my brother would have been able to find my difficult veins the first poke. I was rolled through the ER doors and set up in a room. I said goodbye the EMT and waited for my parents.

I was asked to put on a gown and given hospital socks with grips on the sole. The first thing I was asked to do is pee into a receptacle. The nurse helped me into the bathroom, placed the catcher in the bowl, and set me on the toilet. I think I peed, I have a hard time remembering because it was while I was sitting on the toilet that I started throwing up and could not stop. I pulled the “help me” string and grabbed the trash can in the corner. She waited until we thought I had finished and helped me back into bed. I was not finished. I threw up a total of 12 times before the anti-nausea medicine they gave me kicked in.

They began tests- blood drawn, EKG, CAT scan, chest x-ray, they had me walk. They concluded that I had vertigo, gave me more anti-nausea pills, and was sent home with instructions to follow-up with my PCP.

My parents took me home. My diagnosis did not feel right. We, my family and I, were nervous. I felt fragile. My surroundings didn’t feel real. I was tired.

Two days later, on my way to the PCP, my ER doctor called, “I have been thinking about you a lot and I don’t feel right about your diagnosis. I recommend you getting an MRI.” He didn’t give any other theories about what may be going on with me, just wanted to make sure I pursued more tests.

I told my PCP what happened and asked him to refer an MRI. He agreed. The MRI was scheduled a week out. I was scared. I didn’t want to have to wait a week for an MRI. I was beginning to feel like a ticking time bomb, but I resigned myself to wait.

It was that day or the day after that my mom talked to my brother, the EMT, and told him the next steps. He was not happy about the long wait for the MRI and told us to call and demand my MRI get moved up. He said they will be able to get me in, I just need to be pushy. Sure enough, they rescheduled my MRI for two days later.

-To Be Continued-


Author: heidsy

I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s